There are a range of healthcare professionals that can help you manage your MS. Having a team to support you can really help. There are also special, dedicated MS clinics in Australia. Some of the health experts that can help include:
- Physiotherapist – Can help manage leg weakness, gait problems and balance and coordination and teach you stretching and strengthening exercises
- Exercise physiologist – Can design an exercise plan, and teach you how to safely perform the exercises
- Occupational therapist – Can show you ways to make daily tasks easier
- Speech pathologist – Can evaluate and help with any speech and swallowing difficulties
- Cognitive therapist – Can help with any problems with thinking and memory
- Psychologist – Can help with mental health and processing emotions.
Learning to manage stress, emotions and mental health through activities like yoga and meditation may also help.
MS Australia has developed a handy tool called the Service Compass, which can help you to identify the support you may need and connect to a healthcare professionalLearn more
EXPLORE ON THIS SITE