Spirituality can be powerful. It can keep people calm and centred, and can also inspire people to stay well in spite of challenges and obstacles.1 Spirituality does not have to involve religion. For some people spirituality means a connection to nature, a connection to other people, a connection to art or anything that provides meaning in their life.
Undergoing a crisis can often make people aware of their spirituality, or what is important to them in their life. It involves both fear and opportunities for growth including:
In this video Jemma shares what she is passionate about and would like to pursue in the future.
Try this activity
The activity below, inspired by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society in the US, helps you to examine different areas of your life to identify what is really important to you and where you might like to focus your energy. There are no right or wrong answers. It is just an exercise to help you think about what or who brings you joy, satisfaction, peace or a feeling of wellbeing, so that you can think about whether you want to make any changes.
Identify what sustains and drains you
- Who loves and supports you?
- Do you have any spiritual mentors or guides?
- Where do you get your values and beliefs from?
- What grounds you and gives you a sense of stability, of being centred and self-confident?
What interests you?
- What activities make you feel creative and inspire you?
- What hobbies or activities provide joy or stimulation?
- What motivates you?
What can you let go of?
- Do you have beliefs or attitudes you don’t need anymore?
- Are there strategies or plans that no longer work with your goals or your values?
- Are there people or relationships that don’t bring you joy or positivity?
- Are there activities you are doing that you don’t enjoy or that drain your energy?
What inspires you?
- What activities, relationships, ideas or roles are you interested in?
- Do you have new goals to set or things you would like to achieve?
- Are there new skills you would like to learn?
- Can you think of anything you would like to do differently?